Welcome to episode four of this new FM series here at One Game at a Time. If you missed episode one, two or three you can find them here: https://onegameataatime.com/category/football-manager/ and incidentally my twitter is @cameroneyles
Last time out we lost both our opening games to Stoke and West Brom which was disheartening but at least we beat Northampton in the ‘all important’ EFL Cup. 4-2-4 just has not been working for us and our back line has been far too exposed so 4-3-3 is the order of the day.
No club has come in for Frazier Campbell yet but I need to sell him to get the funds for a decent cdm. As you can see below I’ve submitted a bid for Tufan from Fenerbache after they rejected a part exchange for Frazier Campbell.
In the EFL Cup 3rd round we’ve drawn Sunderland away. Also good news lads….
Very excited to have landed this guy he’s got 3 star ability already and with 4 star potential looks like a decent player. We’ve pretty much used all our budget in him so hopeful we can get some money back on Campbell. Anyway onto West Ham.
28th August – West Ham (H)
- After telling the players to pick up from where they left off we are underway.
- Fryers booked in the 4th minute.
- Goal! I really can’t catch a break. Obiang scores in the 5th minute. 0-1
- Payet’s free kick goes over. 17 minutes 0-1
- Adrian saves Zaha’s effort. 18 minute 0-1
- Just wide from Remy! 23 minutes 0-1
- Goal! Remy taps in an excellent cross from Zaha at 30 minutes. 1-1
- Townsend booked in the 36th minute.
- Goal! Almost identical to the first Zaha crosses, Remy taps in. 38 minutes played 2-1
- Mandanda saves Lanzini’s effort. 45 minutes gone. 2-1
- Half Time: 2-1. Finally we’re not terrible!
- After a calm team talk we are back underway.
- Zaha misses an easy chance. 51 minutes 2-1
- Mandanda saves Zaza’s effort at 60 minutes. 2-1
- Subs at 62 minutes: Sako and Kelly for Fryers and Townsend
- Sub at 80 minutes: Ozan for Ledley
- Adrian catches a Zaha cross as Palace were breaking. 87 minutes 2-1
- Full Time. After a nervy final few minutes I congratulate the team.
Final Score: 2-1
Man of the Match: Loic Remy
A good win against a West Ham side that had got 6 points from their first two games. It seems 4-3-3 is the way to go. We are now approaching deadline day and into the 1st international break. Unfortunately we cannot sell Campbell which is annoying but I’ll move him to the U23’s and hope we can shift him in January.
In some good news Cabaye is no longer unhappy about the depth of the 1st team squad, which is good of him. We’ve finished the international break unscathed and up next it’s Swansea away.
10th September – Swansea (A)
- After a passionate team talk we are under way.
- Zaha wildly over hits a shot at 5 minutes. 0-0
- Close! Remy hits the post in the 13th minute! 0-0
- Townsend goes close. 33 minutes 0-0
- Remy hits the post again! 0-0 at 40 minutes
- Half Time: 0-0. We’ve been all over them and should have the lead.
- After a bit more passion at half time we are underway
- Cork is sent off! 46 minutes gone 0-0.
- Goal! Roles are reversed as Remy crosses into Zaha who scores at 55 minutes. 0-1
- Sub at 59 minutes: Ozan Tufan for Ledley
- Sub at 70 minutes: Mutch for McArthur
- Save! Remy’s header just saved at 71 minutes. 0-1
- Sub at 82 minutes: Lascelles for Tomkins
- Mandanda tips wide a Routledge effort. 86 minutes 0-1
- Full Time. I congratulate the team.
Final Score: 0-1
Man of the Match: James Tomkins
Another win and a clean sheet to boot so I’m delighted. One more game this episode as we face bottom of the pile Hull at home. Also Souare has resumed full training.
17th September – Hull (H)
- After telling the players not to let the fans down we are underway.
- Marshall saves an early Zaha effort. 3 minutes 0-0
- Goal! Zaha heads in a Townsend cross. 8 minutes 1-0
- Goal! Hernandez with a swift reply! 11 minutes 1-1
- Townsend hits the side netting in the 19th minute. 1-1
- Goal! It’s a Marshall own goal as he deflects Townsend’s cross in. 27 minutes 2-1
- Zaha has a shot and it’s wide. 37 minutes. 2-1
- Half Time: 2-1. Decent stuff but room for improvement.
- I tell the team they can be better as we are underway.
- McArthur booked at 46 minutes
- Subs at 62 minutes: Mutch and Tufan for McArthur and Ledley
- Fryers booked at 78 minutes
- Sub at 80 minutes: Benteke for Remy
- Full Time. A good win and I tell the dressing room as much
Final Score: 2-1
Man of the Match: Scott Dann
As you can hopefully see we now lie in 6th place! This episode has been a massive turnaround and it’s clear the 4-3-3 is the way to go.
And on that bombshell it’s the end of episode four! A follow on twitter @cameroneyles would be great and here’s what’s coming up next time:
- EFL Cup 3rd Round Tie against Sunderland
- Will the winning run in the Premier League continue?
- Souare returns